This tasty bake layers velvety aubergine slices with a robust tomato spinach sauce and fresh basil pesto. We top it with a ground almond crumb for added texture and serve with crispy roasted kale.
Time: 30 minutes
180g cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1 red onion
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp Belazu sun-dried tomato paste
4 tbsp basil pesto
4 tbsp ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas mark 7.
2. Finely chop the garlic and dice the onion. Thinly slice the the aubergines into rounds. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Roughly chop the kale.
3. On a large baking tray, lay out the aubergine slices and brush with 1 tsp oil. Place in the oven to cook for 15 mins until golden brown and cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 1 tsp oil on a medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins, then add the cherry tomatoes, spinach, passata, the sundried tomato paste and simmer gently for 10 mins. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
5. In a small oven-proof dish place a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce, followed by a layer or two of the aubergine slices (depending on how many slices you have), and a very thin layer of basil pesto. Repeat 3 times. Then sprinkle with the ground almonds.
6. Place the aubergine and pesto bake in the oven for 20 mins until turning golden. In the last 5 mins of cooking, place the kale on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tsp oil and place in the oven for 5 mins alongside the bake.
7. Serve the aubergine and pesto bake on two warm plates with the kale.
447 calories • 25g carbs • 32g fat • 12g protein
Allergens: Nuts, Soya
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef