Here’s a twist on a Greek salad – packed with protein to make for a filling, summery dinner. Succulent free-range chicken joins British-grown quinoa, a cooling coconut tzatziki and plump black olives.
Cook time: 30 mins
120g cherry tomatoes
1 baby cucumber
1 garlic clove
1 red onion
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
2 tsp oil
2 x 150g free-range chicken thighs
60g pitted black olives
80g coconut yoghurt
Medium handful of fresh mint
1. Preheat oven to 200°C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle. Rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with 300ml boiling water, simmer for 15 mins then drain.
2. Finely chop the garlic. Cut the red onion into quarters, then finely dice one quarter and place into a bowl.
3. Roughly chop the remaining onion into large chunks. Place the chicken thighs on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tsp of oil, sprinkle over the dried Italian herbs, the chopped garlic and season with sea salt and black pepper. Scatter the large onion chunks around the chicken on the baking tray. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins until cooked through.
4. Make the Greek salad: add the olives, half of the vinegar and 1 tsp olive oil to the bowl with the finely diced onion. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and add them into the mixture. Cut the cucumber in half, dice one half and add to the bowl. Reserve second half of the cucumber for later.
5. Finely chop the mint leaves and add half to the Greek salad bowl. Add the cooked quinoa to the Greek salad bowl, mix all together and season.
6. Make the tzatziki: grate the remaining cucumber, and place it in a separate bowl with between 40-80ml of the coconut yoghurt (to taste), remaining chopped mint and remaining apple cider vinegar. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Combine well.
7. Divide the rocket between two bowls. Stir the cooked red onion through the quinoa, mix, then spoon into the bowls alongside the rocket. Slice the chicken thighs and place on top of the quinoa, spoon the tzatziki over the top.
458.5 calories, 38.5g carbs, 23g fat, 25.5g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef