This easy take on Spanish paella features tender free-range chicken, fluffy brown rice and sweet Romano peppers. Sundried tomato adds brightness, while fresh broccoli packs vitamin K.
Cook time: 30 minutes
120g sundried tomatoes
160g brown rice
1 brown onion
1 chicken stock cube
1 head of broccoli
1 tbsp paella spice mix
2 romano red peppers
2 tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves
500g diced chicken breast
1. Boil a kettle. Dissolve the chicken stock cube in a jug with 500ml boiling water.
2. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Cut the broccoli into medium-sized florets and blanch the broccoli for 1 minute, remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in cold water, then drain. Rinse the brown rice and, using the same water place in the saucepan and simmer for 12 mins then drain.
3. Peel and finely dice the onion, peel and grate the garlic, cut the romano peppers into 1.5 cm dice, peel and cut the courgette into 1.5 cm dice, thinly slice the sun-dried tomatoes.
4. Heat a large non-stick pan with 2 tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the onion and peppers and cook for 3-5 mins, add the garlic, sundried tomatoes, chicken, paella spice mix, courgettes and cook for a further 3-5 mins. Add the half-cooked rice and the chicken stock and cook for a further 10-15 mins with a lid on until the rice and chicken are fully cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed (add more water if needed). Season with sea salt and black pepper.
5. When ready to serve place the broccoli florets on top of the paella rice, cover with a lid for 2-3 mins to warm through the broccoli.
6. To serve, spoon the paella onto four warm plates.
469 calories, 41g protein, 10g fats, 52g carbs
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef