We’ve taken this crowd-pleasing comfort food favourite and given it a makeover, adding sweet potato mash, and livening up the hearty grass-fed beef ragu with aromatic spices and sweet red peppers.
Cooking time: 40 mins
1 beef stock cube
1 head of broccoli
1 red onion
2 red peppers
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves
4cm fresh ginger
500g beef mince
5 tbsp tomato puree
800g sweet potato
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ gas mark 7, and boil a kettle. Dissolve the beef stock cube in a jug with 700ml boiling water.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2cm pieces. Place in a saucepan, cover with lightly salted boiling water and boil for 10-15 mins until soft. Drain, then mash with a potato masher and season with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside to keep warm.
3. Peel and finely dice the red onion, peel and grate the garlic and ginger. Peel the carrots and chop both the carrots and red peppers into small pieces. Chop the broccoli into florets.
4. Heat a large sized non-stick pan with 2 tbsp oil on a medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and peppers and cook for 3-5 mins until softening. Add the garlic, ginger and minced beef and cook for a further 5 mins until the beef is cooked, then add the tomato puree and curry powder and cook for a further minute. Add the beef stock and simmer for 10-15 mins with a lid on. Season with sea salt and black pepper and add more water if needed.
5. Transfer the mixture into an ovenproof dish and cover with the sweet potato mash. Place in the oven for 10-15 mins or set to the grill and place underneath for 4-5 mins until the topping is golden.
6. Meanwhile, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, cook the broccoli for 2-3 mins or until a slight bite, then drain and season with sea salt and black pepper.
7. To serve, spoon the cottage pie onto four warm plates and serve with a side of the broccoli.
434 calories • 60g carbs • 7g fat • 33g protein
Allergens: Celery, Mustard
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef