A spicy jackfruit patty with ginger and garlic, sitting on top of a portobello mushroom and topped with crushed avocado and a beet slaw.
Time: 30 minutes
1 red chilli
1 red onion
1 tbsp sesame oil
200g sweet potato
250g jackfruit (drained)
2 garlic cloves
2 portobello mushrooms
2 tsp oil
2 tsp white sesame seeds
4cm fresh ginger
4 tbsp buckwheat flour
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potatoes into thin fries and place on a baking tray with 1 tsp oil and a pinch of sea salt. Cook in the oven for 25 mins until turning golden. After 15 mins, add the portobello mushrooms to the tray and cook for 10 mins until softened.
2. Dice the red onion and finely chop the garlic, red chilli (remove the seeds for less heat) and coriander leaves. Peel and finely grate or chop the ginger.
3. Heat a medium-sized frying pan with 1 tsp oil and cook the garlic, ginger, chilli and onion for 5 mins until softened. Add the jackfruit and cook for 2 mins. Pull apart the jackfruit with two forks and place in a bowl for 5 mins until cooled, then stir in ¾ of the buckwheat flour and ¾ of the chopped fresh coriander. Form the jackfruit mix into two burgers (2cm thick) and dust with the remaining flour.
4. Heat the same pan with the sesame oil on a medium heat and form the jackfruit into two burgers. Fry for 3-4 mins each side until cooked through.
5. Trim the beetroot, and leaving the skin on, grate. Place in a small bowl with half of the juice from the lime and the remaining coriander. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
6. Peel and destone the avocado. In another small bowl, roughly crush the avocado with a fork. Squeeze in the juice from the remaining lime and add a sprinkle of sea salt.
7. Place the sweet potato fries on two warm plates alongside the portobello mushroom and beetroot slaw. Add the jackfruit burgers, then spoon the avocado on top of the burgers. Sprinkle over the white sesame seeds.
659 calories • 103g carbs • 22g fat • 14g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef