These Mexican-style eggs are packed with flavour and make a great weekend brunch treat. The smoky black beans bulk out the dish to keep you feeling fuller for longer
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 people
1 tsp coconut oil
240g black beans, drained
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp chilli flakes
For the salsa:
2 spring onions
120g ripe plum tomatoes
Handful of fresh coriander
Juice of 1 lime
1. To make the tomato salsa, finely slice the spring onions, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander, then place in a bowl with half the lime juice. Stir well.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add the black beans, smoked paprika and chilli flakes, season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 mins. Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 mins, until wilted. Stir in the remaining lime juice.
3. Meanwhile bring a saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Create a gentle whirlpool in the pan with a spoon, and then carefully break the eggs into the middle, one at a time. Cook for 3-4 mins, until the white is thoroughly cooked, then remove from the pan and drain.
4. Peel and de-stone the avocado and thinly slice. Place the spicy black beans on to two warm plates, layer over the avocado slices, spoon over the fresh tomato salsa and top with the poached eggs.
5. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and serve.
Recipe taken from the best-selling cookbook Mindful Chef: Eat Well, Live Better – a collection of Mindful Chef’s favourite recipes along with helpful nutritional guides to book your health and wellness.