This Italian-style salad is really easy to make and super tasty. Chicken is tossed in a creamy basil pesto with sundried tomatoes, olives, and quick-pickled red onions. Crunchy, salty and tangy in equal measure!
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 people
1½ tbsp oil
120g cherry tomatoes
1 baby gem lettuce
1 garlic clove
1 red onion
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 x 170g diced chicken breast
30g Belazu naturally-ripened pitted black olives
400g baby white potatoes
4 tbsp Mr Organic basil pesto
60g sundried tomatoes
1. Boil a kettle. Cut the baby potatoes into quarters or small cubes. Add the potatoes to a saucepan with a pinch of salt and cover generously with boiling water. Simmer for 10-12 mins then drain when cooked.
2. Thinly slice the red onion. Place half into a small bowl with the apple cider vinegar, mix then leave to pickle.
3. Finely chop the garlic. Heat a medium-sized pan with ½ tbsp oil on a medium heat. Add the chicken and remaining sliced red onion to the pan and season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook the chicken and onions for 5 mins until golden, then add the chopped garlic, place a lid on the pan and cook for a further 5 mins until cooked through. When cooked, turn off the heat and add the pesto to the pan.
4. Meanwhile, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the pan at the end with pesto, stir all together and keep warm.
5. To make the salad; cut the sundried tomatoes and black olives in half. Cut the half cucumber in half lengthways then cut into thin slices. Trim the root end off the gem lettuce and thinly slice. Place all these ingredients into a large bowl.
6. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the salad, add the pickled red onion and pour over the extra pickling vinegar, mix well.
7. To serve, divide the salad between two plates. Top with the warm pesto chicken and cherry tomatoes and scatter the potatoes over the top.
648 calories • 47g carbs • 31g fat • 49g protein
Allergens: Nuts, Soya, Sulphites
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef