This filling plant-based bolognese is full of the flavours of the countryside: fragrant thyme, sweet sundried tomato, hearty mushrooms and earthy lentils. Served on courgetti with a sprinkle of pine nuts.
Cook time: 30 minutes
120g chestnut mushrooms
180g cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp oil
20g pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp Belazu sundried tomato paste
80g dried brown lentils
Medium handful of fresh thyme
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the lentils and place in a pan with 300ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25-30 mins until tender.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic. Peel and finely dice the carrot. Finely slice the mushrooms and cut the tomatoes in half. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs.
3. Heat a large pan with 2 tsp oil on a medium heat, add the garlic and carrot and cook for 5 mins. Then add the mushrooms and tomatoes to the pan for 5 mins until all the vegetables have softened.
4. Add the passata, sundried tomato paste and the thyme leaves to the vegetable pan and cook for a further 5 mins. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
5. Meanwhile, remove the ends of the courgettes but leave the skin on. Prepare the courgetti using a peeler and slice the courgettes into long thin strips (or use a julienne peeler or spiralizer).
6. Heat a frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat, add the courgetti and cook for 1 minute until the courgetti has slightly softened.
7. Drain the lentils and stir through the vegetable bolognese sauce. Serve the courgetti on two warm plates and spoon the lentil bolognese over the middle of the courgetti. Sprinkle over the pine nuts.
Macros: 444 calories, 46g carbs, 21g fat, 19g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef