You’ve never had spag bol like this – in our Mindful Chef version we swap pasta for succulent courgette ribbons, and replace meat with organic smoked tempeh. We sprinkle over a vegan almond ‘parmesan’ to finish.
Cook time: 30 mins
1½ tbsp oil
120g cherry tomatoes
120g chestnut mushrooms
1 red onion
1 sachet tomato puree
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 vegetable stock cube
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
1. Boil a kettle. Finely chop or crush the garlic. Finely dice the red onion. Thinly slice the mushrooms and then cut in half. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and finely dice the large tomatoes. Finely chop the parsley leaves.
2. Crumble the tempeh into small pieces. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in a jug with 150ml boiling water.
3. Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the onion for 3 mins, then add the tempeh and cook for a further 5 mins until turning golden. Stir in the garlic, dried Italian herbs, mushrooms and smoked paprika and cook for 3 mins or until the mushrooms have softened. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock, cherry tomatoes and half of the parsley. Simmer for 5-10 mins, until thickened. Season with a pinch of black pepper and add in half of the nutritional yeast (to taste).
4. Meanwhile, make the courgette tagliatelle: remove the ends off the courgettes, and using a peeler, slice the courgettes into long thin strips. Cut the strips lengthways into three strips (to a 1cm width).
5. To make the almond ‘parmesan’, heat a small dry frying pan on a high heat and add the ground almonds. Cook for 3 mins until turning golden, turning in the pan frequently to prevent burning. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl. Stir in the remaining nutritional yeast and the remaining parsley. Add a pinch of black pepper to taste.
6. Heat the same frying pan with ½ tbsp oil on a gentle heat, add the courgette tagliatelle and cook for 1-2 mins until beginning to soften.
7. Spoon the courgette tagliatelle into two warm bowls and spoon over the smoky tempeh bolognese. Sprinkle over a little of the almond ‘parmesan’ to taste.
569 calories • 42g carbs • 23g fat • 44g protein
Allergens: Celery, Nuts, Soya
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef