If you’re short of time, this flavour-packed Mexican supper will fast become a new midweek favourite. The chicken is butterflied and then grilled keeping it nice and moist, and it's served with some herby coconut rice and a generous squeeze of lime. Delish!
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 people
1 garlic clove
½ red chilli
1 lime, juiced
1½ tbsp oil
1 tbsp tamari
2 x 170g free-range chicken breasts
1 tbsp Mindful Chef Mexican spice mix*
30g creamed coconut
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
120g sweetcorn (drained)
250g steamed brown basmati rice
2 spring onions
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Boil the kettle. To make the chicken marinade, finely dice the garlic and half of the chilli (remove the seeds for less heat) and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add ½ tbsp of oil, half the lime the juice and the tamari and stir well.
2. Carefully slice through each chicken breast horizontally to give you two thinner pieces of chicken. Rub the Mexican seasoning over both sides of the chicken.
3. Place a griddle pan (or frying pan) on a medium heat with ½ tbsp of oil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4-5 mins each side (or until the chicken is cooked through). For the last two 2 mins of cooking, pour over the marinade. Then turn off the heat and leave to rest in the pan until ready to slice.
4. Meanwhile, dissolve the creamed coconut in a jug with 80ml boiling water. Heat a large frying pan with the remaining oil on a medium heat, add the diced pepper and cook for 3 mins.
5. Drain the sweetcorn and add to the pan along with the rice and creamed coconut, stirring well. Cook for a further 3 mins. Meanwhile, chop the coriander and thinly slice the spring onions. Add half of the spring onion and coriander to the pan.
6. Thinly slice the chicken and spoon the rice into two warm bowls, topping with the chicken. Pour over any remaining chicken juices from the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining spring onion and coriander and drizzle over the rest of the lime juice.
602 calories • 46g carbs • 26g fat • 49g protein
Allergens: Soya, Sulphites
*Mindful Chef Mexican spice mix is equal amounts of smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander and dried oregano.
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef