This take on the Italian panzanella salad is made with sweet heritage tomatoes, crispy garlic roasted potatoes and topped with slices of juicy steak and a fresh herb salsa verde dressing.
Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 people
180g heritage cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
200g baby white potatoes
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp oil
2 x 150g flat iron steak
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
Medium handful of fresh mint
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7.
2. Cut the potatoes into small 1cm pieces. Heat a frying pan with ½ tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the potatoes. Season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 3 mins until lightly golden. Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic then add to the pan for the last minute. Spoon the potatoes onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 mins until turning golden.
3. Season the steaks with sea salt and black pepper on both sides. Thinly slice the red onion. Heat a griddle pan (or frying pan) with ½ tbsp oil on a high heat and cook the steaks for 2-3 mins each side for medium-rare or 4-5 mins each side for well done, add half of the red onion to the pan and cook alongside the steaks until softened. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and leave to rest for a few mins.
4. Place the remaining red onion in a bowl with only half of the vinegar and 1 tbsp of water, mix then leave to pickle.
5. To make the salsa verde; finely chop the parsley, mint leaves and capers. Mix together in a small bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cold water and the remaining vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Slice the tomatoes in half and thinly slice the steaks.
7. Divide the rocket between two plates then scatter over the tomatoes, garlic potatoes and pickled red onions. Place the steak slices and cooked red onion on top and drizzle with the salsa verde.
435 calories • 25g carbs • 22g fat • 36g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef