The popular sweet and sour takeaway classic has been reinvented with golden tofu stir-fried with red pepper and onion. Served with brown rice, crispy kale ‘seaweed’ and crunchy cashews – we reckon you're going to love it!
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 people
15g cashew nuts
1 brown onion
1 red chilli
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp tamari
1 yellow pepper
2 tbsp tomato puree
300g firm tofu
4 tsp cornflour
80g brown rice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked, then drain.
2. Cut the yellow pepper and onion into bite-sized pieces. Roughly chop the kale. Finely chop the chilli (remove the seeds for less heat). Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes.
3. To make the sweet and sour sauce; in a small bowl mix together the tamari, tomato puree, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and half of the chilli with 2 tbsp cold water.
4. Place the cornflour into a bowl with a pinch of sea salt. Place the tofu cubes into the bowl and coat evenly.
5. Place the kale on a baking tray with a pinch of sea salt and combine with 1 tsp oil, spread out into an even layer. Place in the oven for 10 mins until turning crispy.
6. Heat a large wok or frying pan with 2 tsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the tofu for 10 mins, turning occasionally until turning golden. Then add the onion and pepper and cook for 5 mins until softening. Add in the sauce and turn down the heat. Cook for 1-2 mins until the sauce has thickened.
7. Spoon the brown rice into two warm bowls alongside the sweet and sour tofu and crispy kale. Sprinkle with the cashew nuts and remaining chilli (if desired).
530 calories • 62g carbs • 21g fat • 27g protein
Allergens: Nuts, Soya, Sulphites
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef