Our plant-based moussaka swaps lentils for beef but keeps the best parts of the traditional dish: melting slices of tender aubergine, tomato sauce and a deliciously creamy vegan béchamel.
Cook time: 30 minutes
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 tbsp Belazu sundried tomato paste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp nutmeg
240g lentils in water (drained)
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
80ml coconut yoghurt
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Finely chop the garlic. Finely dice the red onion and red pepper. Slice the aubergine into very thin ½ cm rounds. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Drain and rinse the lentils.
3. Place the aubergine on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and place in the oven for 10 mins.
4. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and red pepper for 5 mins until softened. Then stir in the ground cinnamon, oregano, sundried tomato paste, passata, lentils, spinach, half of the parsley and 100ml boiling water. Simmer for 5 mins.
5. In a bowl, mix together the coconut yoghurt, nutritional yeast and only a pinch of nutmeg (to taste). Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add a little water to thin the mix if needed.
6. Spoon the lentils into an ovenproof dish, top with a layer of aubergine, then a thin layer of the coconut béchamel. Place in the oven for 15 mins until turning golden.
7. Serve the lentil moussaka on two warm plates. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley leaves.
515 calories • 43g carbs • 30g fat • 21g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef