Our free-range chicken breasts are cooked in a marinade of coconut yoghurt and tandoori spices then served alongside a refreshing kale, carrot and cucumber rice salad and a herby coconut yoghurt dip.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 adults and 2-3 children
125ml coconut yoghurt
160g brown rice
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
2 baby cucumbers
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp tandoori spice mix
4 x 170g free-range chicken breast
60g pumpkin seeds
Medium handful of fresh coriander
Medium handful of fresh mint
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ gas mark 7, and boil the kettle.
2. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 800ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins then drain and rinse with cold water to cool.
3. Zest the lemon and set aside to use in the rice salad. Place half of the coconut yoghurt, the tandoori spice blend and the juice from half the lemon into a bowl and mix well. Add the chicken into the bowl and coat in the spice marinade. Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 20 mins or until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, make the kale salad: finely slice the kale (removing any tough stalks), cut the pomegranate in half and remove the seeds, dice the baby cucumbers and peel and grate the carrot. Finely chop the mint and coriander leaves, then add a little of the herbs to the remaining coconut yogurt.
5. Add the kale to a bowl with the lemon zest, a squeeze of juice from the remaining lemon, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp olive oil. Massage the kale for a minute using your hands. Then add the cooked rice, carrot and cucumber, plus the remaining mint and coriander. Mix well and season to taste.
6. Heat a small dry frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pumpkin seeds for a 2-3 mins until lightly toasted, then add to the salad.
7. Serve the tandoori chicken and rice salad onto four plates, with a spoonful of the herby coconut yoghurt. Drizzle the pomegranate molasses over the chicken, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
583 calories • 54g carbs • 21g fat • 49g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef