These tender chicken strips are glazed in a smoky, sticky barbecue sauce that's quick to make at home. Served with sweetcorn-studded brown rice and crunchy cabbage slaw.
Cook time: 15 mins
100g sweetcorn (drained)
150g red cabbage
1 tbsp oil
250g steamed brown basmati rice
2 garlic cloves
2 sachets tomato puree
2 spring onions
2 tbsp tamari
2 tsp chipotle paste
2 tsp honey
2 x 170g free-range chicken breast
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Slice the chicken breast into strips. Heat a medium-sized pan with ½ tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the chicken strips and season with black pepper. Cook for 2 mins each side until turning golden.
2. Meanwhile, to make the barbecue sauce, finely dice the garlic and place into a small bowl. Combine with the chipotle paste, tomato puree, tamari, honey, the juice from ¼ of the lime and 4 tbsp cold water.
3. Pour the barbecue sauce into the pan with the chicken and coat. Cook for 3 mins, then a further 5 mins with a lid on, until chicken is tender (add a little more water to the barbecue sauce if needed).
4. Roughly chop the coriander leaves and drain the sweetcorn. Heat a medium-sized pan with ½ tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the brown rice, 2 tbsp water, sweetcorn and half of the coriander. Cook for 5 mins.
5. To make the slaw, finely slice the red cabbage, grate the carrot and slice the spring onions. Place all these in a bowl with the remaining coriander. Squeeze over the juice from the remaining lime.
6. To serve, spoon the sweetcorn rice onto two warm plates and serve the barbecue-style chicken alongside with the slaw.
534 calories, 59g carbs, 13g fat, 50g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef