A deliciously rich lentil ragu with carrot, leek, celery and fresh thyme topped with a roasted butternut and sage mash.
Cook time: 30 mins
20g dried porcini mushrooms
2 tbsp oil
2 vegetable stock cubes
3 garlic cloves
480g black beluga lentils (drained)
5 tbsp tomato puree
800g butternut squash
Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
Medium handful of fresh sage
Medium handful of fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 220°C / gas mark 7, and boil a kettle.
2. Dissolve the vegetable stock cubes in a jug with 600ml boiling water. Place the dried porcini mushrooms into the jug and leave to soak for 10 mins.
3. Peel and dice the butternut squash into 2-3cm pieces and finely chop the sage leaves. Place both in a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Place on a tray lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 15-20 mins until cooked and soft. When cooked, return to the bowl and mash with a potato masher (leaving some texture), then set aside.
4. Meanwhile, peel and dice the carrots, dice the leek and celery and grate the garlic. Drain and rinse the lentils. Drain and chop the porcini mushrooms (reserving the stock) and finely chop the thyme leaves. Heat a medium-sized frying pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat. Add the carrots, leek and celery and cook for 5 mins until golden. Then add the garlic, thyme and porcini mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
5. Add the tomato puree and allow to cook for a further minute to intensify the flavours. Then add the vegetable stock and lentils and simmer for 10-15 mins.
6. When the lentil mix is ready, place in an ovenproof dish and spoon the butternut sage mash over the top. Bake in the oven for 10 mins. Roughly chop the parsley leaves.
7. To serve, spoon the lentil cottage pie onto four warm plates and sprinkle over the parsley.
438 calories, 73g carbs, 8g fat, 19g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef