Our tender flat iron steaks come from heritage breeds of cattle raised in Yorkshire. They're seasoned with Mexican spices, seared, then served with an avocado salsa and a generous portion of spinach rice.
Cook time: 30 minutes
120g cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
1 tbsp Mexican spice mix
250g steamed brown basmati rice
2 tsp oil
2 x 150g flat iron steak
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Dice the red onion and roughly chop the coriander leaves.
2. Heat a medium-sized frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat, add half of the red onion and cook for 5 mins until softening and slightly coloured. Then add the rice, spinach, half of the coriander, 1-2 tbsp cold water and cook for 3 mins then leave in the pan to keep warm. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Rub the steaks with the Mexican spice mix and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Heat a second frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium-high heat. Cook the steaks until golden brown, 2-3 mins each side for medium rare or 4-5 mins each side for well done. Cover and rest until serving.
4. Meanwhile, make the avocado salsa. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Peel and de-stone the avocado, and cut into small cubes. In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, avocado, remaining red onion (to taste) and the remaining coriander, season with sea salt and black pepper. Squeeze over half of the juice from the lime.
5. Thinly slice the steaks. Spoon the rice onto two warm plates, top with the sliced steak and serve the avocado salsa alongside.
Macros: 568 calories, 45g carbs, 27g fat, 39g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef